[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Oct 12 11:47:10 PDT 2005

At 09:59 AM 10/12/2005, Caitlin Bestler wrote:

>----------

Yep.  This is where iWARP differs from IB RD in that IB restricts this to a
single in-flight message per EEC at a time while iWARP allows multiple
in-flight over either transport type supported.  The logic behind why IB RD
was constructed the way it was is somewhat complex but one of the core
requirements was to enable a QP to communicate across multiple EEC while
preserving an ordering domain within an EEC.  Given all of this needed to
be implemented in hardware, i.e. without host software intervention, for
both main data path and error management, the restriction to a single
message was required.  I and several others had created a proprietary RDMA
RC followed by a RD implementation 10+ years ago so we had a reasonable
understanding of the error / complexity trade-offs.  Given the distances
were within a usec or each other and one could support multiple EEC per
endnode pair, the performance / scaling impacts were not seen as overly
restrictive and met the software application usage models quite
nicely.  Anyway, there are differences between iWARP / SCTP and IB RD so
people cannot equate them beyond some base conceptual level aspects.

Mike