[openib-general] Migration Solution

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Oct 13 04:59:34 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 03:10, Mohit Katiyar, Noida wrote:
> Hi all,
> If anyone can suggest some good possible solution for migrating from
> Clients --------FC Switch ---------> SAN connection
> Clients-------> IB network-----------> SAN Connection

It depends on your storage. There are two choices here: iSER based IB
storage and SRP based IB storage.

> The most economical I can think of is
> Clients ---------> IB Switch --------> IB FC gateway-------> FC
> Switch--------> SAN
> But performance enhancement is doubtful

> The Expensive but high performance will be
> Clients --------> IB Switch---------> SAN

Yes, this is more direct and is higher performance but is this more
expensive ? The tradeoff is the cost of the IB FC gateway versus the
cost delta of the native IB v. FC based storage. The main issue is the
availability of the native IB storage solutions (I think several are
emerging) and the initiator side (there are iSER and SRP initiators
available for OpenIB).

> Does anyone having any other ideas or any other middleway?

Not that I am aware of.

-- Hal