[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Fri Oct 14 02:26:24 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 10:29:09AM -0700, Michael Krause wrote:
> This all comes down to economics which is why some ULP such as SDP are
> created.  Let's examine SDP for a moment.  The purpose of SDP to enable
> synchronous and asynchronous Sockets applications to transparently run
> unmodified over a RDMA capable interconnect.   Unmodified means no source
> code changes and no recompile required (this is possible if the Sockets
> library is a shared library and dynamically linked).   The first part of
> unmodified means that the existing address / service resolution API calls
> work (further, no change to the address family, etc. is required to make
> this work either).  Hence, pick any of the get* API calls that are in use
> today and they should just work.

That's not who SDP is going to work on Linux, though.  Where not into
your crude hacks to let broken applications work with new technology
business.  Applications will have to use SDP directly or via getaddrinfo
and we will never put in a broken sockets switch.

And can you _please_ stop all thise time to market and similar business
crap?  That simply doesn't matter when designing something properly.