[Fwd: Re: [openib-general] Re: IBM eHCA testing..]

Brett Bode brett at scl.ameslab.gov
Fri Oct 14 13:22:47 PDT 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 2:27 PM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> From: Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com>
> Date: October 14, 2005 12:41:13 PM CDT
> To: Troy Benjegerdes <troy at scl.ameslab.gov>
> Cc: IBMEHCA DD <IBMEHCAD at de.ibm.com>, openib-general at openib.org
> Subject: Re: [openib-general] Re: IBM eHCA testing..
>

> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:08, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>> Hal Rosenstock wrote:

>>> The OpenSM is just saying that a SMP transaction it issued (in this
>>> case, SM Get P_KeyTable) is timing out (no response made it back to
>>> OpenSM).
>>>
>>> BTW, what svn rev is OpenSM up to ?
>>>
>>> -- Hal
>>>

>> So, how about a patch to opensm to report what svn rev it was built
>> from ;)
>
> Can you do svn info in the userspace/management/osm directory ?

Repository UUID: 21a7a0b7-18d7-0310-8e21-e8b31bdbf5cd
Revision: 3493
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: roland
Last Changed Rev: 3487
Last Changed Date: 2005-09-19 17:59:27 -0500 (Mon, 19 Sep 2005)
Properties Last Updated: 2005-02-15 16:24:20 -0600 (Tue, 15 Feb 2005)

>> I just discovered another problem.. We have been running pfvs2 over
>> IPoIB on the same subnet, and in debugging this, I restarted opensm
>> several times, and somewhere in the stack a PVFS2 write failed. I
>> wouldn't think that a short downtime of the SM from restarting it
>> would
>> cause any IPoIB TCP sessions to fall over..
>
> As Fab indicated, there are a number of places where the SM/SA is
> needed:
> 1. SA PathRecords (used when a path to a new IP end node is needed or
> an
> existing one timesout)
> 2. SA MCMemberRecord joins, queries, and leaves (used when an interface
> is up'ed, down'ed, etc.)
>
> Is this on an existing TCP session ? Is it OpenIB IPoIB clients at each
> end ? What svn version is being used for this ?
>
> -- Hal

It looks like each client node maintains an open TCP stream to each of
the servers. pvfs2 appears to not be very robust to failure. However
the pvfs2 folks just released a new version which changes their network
protocol somewhat. I plan to get the new version installed next week
and will see if it handles things a bit more robustly.

Brett