[openib-general] Cray XD1 and OpenSM.. (ignoreing certain guids?)

Troy Benjegerdes troy at scl.ameslab.gov
Sat Oct 15 07:13:05 PDT 2005

>>I'm unaware of such an option. Not sure how you would specify which
>>nodes to ignore. Why would you want them on the net if they are to be
>>ignored ?
>>
>>Nodes are supposed to be IB compliant: SMA is a required component of
>>all nodes.
>>

>So I presume there is no SMA for the Cray XD1. If someone is going to
>implement this, we can document what portion of the SMA needs to
>implemented to work with OpenSM. That wouldn't necessarily guarantee it
>should work with any SM as other SMs may rely on some slightly different
>things or do things in a slightly different way since there is much more
>flexibility allowed on the SM side.
>
>-- Hal

I would be interested to know what minimal set of the SMA needs to be
implemented. Does anyone have any SMA code in openib project yet? If so
it might be a (theoretically) simple matter of running that code on the
Cray XD1 nodes, and having the cray hardware pass the SMA packets up to
the linux kernel.

Is the SMA implemented in firmware on mellanox cards? And if there's a
'soft-sma'  available, could it be made to work on pathscale cards as well?