[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Tom Tucker tom at ammasso.com
Sun Oct 16 07:39:53 PDT 2005

At 50,000 feet, I don't think anyone disagrees with these lines of
reasoning, however, there are some practical design issues that don't
yield to the architectural rubric of "design by rule of least
astonishment".

It may be more complex than it needs to be; so propose an API, submit a
patch. I think the current CMA could probably be better. This will give
everyone something concrete to consider.

IMHO, at this point, these philospohical arguments serve only to consume
network bandwidth.

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 13:55 -0400, Caitlin Bestler wrote:
> I agree with Mike's analysis. But I'd also like to point out that even
> when source compatability is not a requirement, source familiarity
> is. That is, even when recoding is feasible the API should only
> introduce new concepts as required to improve efficiency. The
> shift from socket model to QP/CQ is challenging enough as is.
> It's also where the benefit is. Changing how the application
> requests and accepts connections is just piling on more things
> for the developers to learn onto an already very full plate, and
> with nowhere near the same benefit.
>
> The simple, IP/DNS-centric methods that Mike outlined will
> work on either iWARP or IB, and are very easily understood
> by those familiar with existing sockets/IP network development.

> The more complex models provide minor enhancements for
> very corner cases at the very heavy concept of requiring
> the developer to understand a lot more about network topology.

Per the above, I don't view these issues as "minor enhancements" or
"corner cases", these are features of the network software layer that
most applications rely on.