[openib-general] Re: [RFC] OpenSM Interactive Console

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Tue Oct 18 14:11:15 PDT 2005

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Currently, OpenSM does not support an interactive console. There has
> been a desire to introduce the ability to change certain parameters (as
> well as display things) once OpenSM has started. This patch introduces
> the first most basic commands: help and loglevel. I am investgating
> adding smpriority to this. The console is invoked by specifying -console
> as an option on the opensm command line.
>
> If you have a request for a command you would like in the console, I
> would like to compile a list of these.
>
> Comments ?

OpenSM gen1 has a nice TCL API (named osmsh) that lets you do all that and much more.
Setting ALL options is supported.
It also provides a Tcl access to the SM Database so you can write your own reports on FDB/MC-FDB etc.
Interactive control on the discovery and fabric settings sequence allows "single stepping" too.

The OpenSM user manual provides extensive description of it, including some programming examples.

Porting of osmsh to gen2 should be very simple.
I do not see why we need to invent yet another way to do these things.
Instead I would recommend including osm Tcl extension in the gen2 trunk and put it to work.

EZ