[openib-general] Re: Questions about libibat, ib_uat, and ib_a

Kevin Reilly kjreilly at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 18 15:40:47 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-18 at 10:07, Kevin Reilly wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 10:07, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
>> > Should this code work, because it seems that out_dev is a kernel
>> > address (platform: PPC64) which cannot accessed  by a userspace
>> > program. Via GDB I can see that rt has the following content:
>> >
>> > The address is rt->out_dev = 0xc0000000cffaa800 which looks like a
>> > kernel address.
>>
>> Yes, this is a bug which has been previously pointed out on the list and
>> not fixed.
>
>The fix for this involves an ABI change: it should return the GID of the
>outgoing IB device.
>
>-- Hal

Should we (IBM) work on submitting a patch for this?  Returning the GID or
the device_name would be good fix.
I guess our reluctance is that we've heard the this address translation
library function might be depreciated for another
interface?   Having neither leaves us without a method to translate healthy
"heartbeat-able" IP interfaces to HCAs where
we can run things over verbs.

Kevin J. Reilly
STSM, HPC Architecture
-Federation/HPS  Chief Engineer
-HPC interconnect architect
(office) 845-433-7976  (tieline) 8-293-7976