[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Oct 20 09:59:44 PDT 2005

This is really an IBTA issue to resolve and to insure that backward
compatibility with existing applications is maintained.  Hence, this
exercise of who is broken or not is inherently flawed in that one cannot
comprehend all implementations that may exist. Therefore, the spec should
use either a new version number or a reserved bit to indicate that there is
a defined format to the private data portion or not.   This is no different
than what is done in other technologies such as PCIe.  Those applications
that require the existing semantics will be confined to the existing
associated infrastructure.  Those that want the new IP semantics set the
bit / version and operate within the restricted private data space
available.  It is that simple.

Mike