[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Tom Tucker ttucker at es335.com
Thu Oct 20 13:05:28 PDT 2005

If TCP/IP addresses and port numbers are being used to identify hosts
and services then IMHO there should be no ambiguity (read overlap)
between these port numbers and IP addresses on different transports.
This means specifically, that if an IB application is listening on a
host on port number 600, then this port number/IP address pair are
CONSUMED. Having another application listening on the same port over the
"native" stack should not happen and if it does chaos will absolutely
ensue. This also applies to iWARP/IP applications.

Note that the same port number on DIFFERENT IP addresses is absolutely
fine. In fact, with CMA it will be possible for a service (.e.g. NFS) to
listen on a given port on an IB, an iWARP, AND a "native" TCP interface
all at the same time. No problem because the IP addresses are different.

Note that without integration with the host stack the implementation
cannot enforce this, but we should assume that the management tools
and/or documentation will. Otherwise, we end down an incredibly deep
rathole -- and it's dark down there.