[openib-general] Re: [swg] Re: private data...

Fab Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Thu Oct 20 13:05:10 PDT 2005

My understanding was that we want the IBTA to add a section in the IB spec to
define this higher-level connection management protocol, specifically the use of
the first 32-bytes of the private data in the REQ to contain the source and
destination IP addresses associated with the source and destination GIDs in the
primary and alternate paths.

If that's not the case, then why is the IBTA SW working group involved here?
Why do they care?

If my understanding is correct, the bit would have meaning to this higher-level
connection management protocol, and not to the lower level IB connection
management protocol.  Defining a range of service IDs for protocols that use
this feature creates a bound group that then requires a rev of the spec anytime
someone else wants in on the fun.  I think defining the higher level protocol
without restricting the scope of service IDs would be beneficial.

> > Having a bit in the CM REQ indicate whether the first 32-bytes of
> > private data contain the source and destination IP addresses allows
> > any app using any service ID to use IP addresses as source and
> > destination identifiers regardless of what protocol they actually
> > use once the connection is established.
>
> What does the CM do with this bit?

The IB CM does nothing.  A higher-level, IP addressing aware CM protocol defined
by the IBTA would.  If a connection request comes in on a particular SID handled
by the higher level CM and doesn't have the bit set, then the request should be
rejected as malformed.  If the bit is set, the higher level CM could check that
the source and destination IP addresses provided match the GIDs specified in the
primary and alternate paths.

- Fab