[openib-general] TCP/IP connection service over IB

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Fri Oct 21 12:24:11 PDT 2005

sean> At a minimum, we need an assigned service ID to identifies a
sean> TCP/IP connection service.  For simplicity of the
sean> implementation, I would use an ID similar to that defined for
sean> SDP:
sean>
sean> 0x00 14 05 xx xx xx xx xx
sean>
sean> I don't know that the SWG or IBTA needs to be involved defining
sean> the protocol beyond assigning the service ID.

Standardizing the protocol will ensure interroperability.

sean> The connection service can define service IDs as:
sean>
sean> 0x00 14 05 00 00 00 dst port
sean>
sean> And a private data format for the CM REQ:
sean>
sean> version(8) | reserved(8) | src port (16)
sean> src ip (16)
sean> dst ip (16)
sean> user private data (56)		/* for version 1 */

Are the numbers in parens in bytes or bits? It looks like a mixture to
me.

sean> Other private data would be left unchanged, though if we wanted
sean> to get more sophisticated, we could define REJ codes to indicate
sean> bad addresses/version/etc.  Not surprisingly, this is exactly
sean> what's implemented in the CMA and working today.

I agree. We should keep it simple.

sean> On a related note, it would be convenient if SDP were changed to
sean> run over this protocol.

Agreed.