[openib-general] Re: [RFC] OpenSM Interactive Console

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Mon Oct 24 11:24:57 PDT 2005

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 12:28, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
>
>>Hal Rosenstock wrote:

> has

>>>(as

>>>introduces

>>>-console

> that

> your
>
>>>own

>>>allows

>>>IMO osmsh is more a debugger's tool. It relies on OpenSM globals and
>>>internal SM data structures rather than well defined APIs which
>
> might
>
>>>isolate the user from changes. (It exposes the internals of the SM
>
> and
>
>>>SM modifications may cause scripts using osmsh) to stop working, and
>>>worse than that, osmsh scripts may cause serious SM bugs.
>>
>>What is unsafe in running the following basic code?
>>osm_opts configure -log_file $log_file_name.
>>osm_init
>>osm_bind $guid
>>osm_sweep
>>osm_set_verbosity 0xffff
>

> Are you saying there is no use of globals and internal SM data
> structures by osmsh or just for that particular flow ?
All I say is that one can get his flows as complicated as he wants...
For the trivial features you support in the console there is no complicated equivalent flow in osmsh.
For sophisticated requirements you will eventually end up re-writing osmsh.

>>>I think there is a place for a "safer" console. Perhaps there are
>
> levels
>
>>>of access privileges where some can do RO things and others have RW
>>>access.
>>
>>How would this privilege right be granted?
>

> Based on user and/or perhaps group.
I do not understand how the permission to write flow through the console is going to be administered.

>>>What OpenSM documentation ? I didn't see any with the 1.8.0 release.
>>
>>It is in the 1.7.1 1.7.0 manuals too.
>

> How do you get the old versions of this ?
It is in the main trunk ...
https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/src/userspace/management/osm/doc/OpenSM_UM.pdf