[openib-general] Re: device add/remove in userspace

Tom Tucker ttucker at opengridcomputing.com
Mon Oct 24 12:09:37 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 11:37 -0700, Sean Hefty wrote:
> Roland Dreier wrote:
> >     Sean> Is there a way for a userspace application to know if a
> >     Sean> device has been added or removed?
> >
> > We don't really handle this right now.  It could probably be made to
> > work on top of hotplug/udev/hal/something but it seems tricky to me.
>
> At this point, I'm still trying to decide if the userspace CMA should talk to
> the userspace CM or kernel CMA, so I'm not sure what's needed yet.

I'm not sure of all the issues you're considering, but it seems to me at
first blush that the user space stuff should talk the kernel CMA. If you
don't do it in the kernel:
- you will end up replicating transport dependent connection management
logic in the user mode library
- you will have to export, support and maintain a much larger number of
kernel services
- implementing security/provisioning policy in user mode is trickier
than in the kernel