[openib-general] RFC userspace CMA

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Tue Oct 25 08:53:28 PDT 2005

Why?

Every CM interface I've dealt with has had the Consumer create
and configure the QP on each end. On the active side the QP is
supplied with the connect request. On the passive side it is
supplied with the accept. State modifications and other
configuration changes were done by the CM based on the Consumer
having passed in the handle.

> - The kernel CMA will expose a new call, rdma_init_qp_attr()
> to initialize QP attributes used to modify the state of the
> QP.  The call will be similar to the infiniband CM routine.
> Use of this call is optional.  The CMA will automatically
> transition QPs created by rdma_create_qp().
>

> - The uCMA will open devices for users and return them the
> device context with related events.  The uCMA will close the
> device if there are no rdma_cma_id's associated with it.
>
> - To support device add, the uCMA will need a new verb's call:
> ibv_open_device_by_guid().  If a connection request occurs
> for a device that is not yet known by the uCMA, it will open
> the device.

Why does the uCMA need to open HCAs? Why does it have to be
anything other than a front-end to the kCMA?

I can see where a user-mode daemon might get a connection
request that could only be answered with a QP on an device
that it had not previolusly opened, and that opening that
device based on information in the Connection Request would
be useful -- but that still doesn't have the uCMA opening
the device. More importantly, the problem can be solved
just as easily by having the listener listen only on rdma
devices that it has already opened.