[openib-general] RE: [dat-discussions] round 2 - proposal for socket based connection model

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Oct 25 09:56:01 PDT 2005

Caitlin Bestler wrote:
> I believe it requires a CM protocol version change, or a "IP Address
> Header present" bit.
>
> Basically, userspace consumers can supply *any* 72 bytes of private data
> currently.
> To maintain backwards compatability you need an authenticator that says
> "this IP
> header data vouched for by privileged components on this end", and that
> authenticator
> cannot be within the private data.

I believe that the solution is keep the CM protocol as is.  The CM private data
should be completely controlled by the service.  The IB CM does not care if an
IP address is in the private data or not.

My reading of the proposal is that it defines a private data format that a
particular service may or may not use.