[openib-general] round 2 - proposal for socket based connectionmodel

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at netapp.com
Tue Oct 25 12:38:35 PDT 2005

What are you trying to achieve?

I am trying to define an IB REQ protocol extension that
support IP connection 5-tuple exchange between connection
requestor and responder.
And define mapping between IP 5-tuple and IB entities.

That way ULP which was written to TCP/IP, UDP/IP, CSTP/IP (and so on)
can use RDMA transport without change.
To modify ULP to know that it runs on top of IB vs. iWARP
vs. (any other RDMA transport) is bad idea.
It is one thing to choose proper port to connect.
Completely different to ask ULP to parse private data
in transport specific way.

The same protocol must support both user level ULPs
and kernel level ULPs.
Arkady

Arkady Kanevsky                       email: arkady at netapp.com
Network Appliance                     phone: 781-768-5395
375 Totten Pond Rd.                  Fax: 781-895-1195
Waltham, MA 02451-2010          central phone: 781-768-5300