[openib-general] round 2 - proposal for socketbased connectionmodel

Woodruff, Robert J robert.j.woodruff at intel.com
Tue Oct 25 16:07:23 PDT 2005

Sean wrote:
>Kanevsky, Arkady wrote:
>> What are you trying to achieve?

>I'm trying to define a connection *service* for Infiniband that uses
TCP/IP
>addresses as its user interface.  That service will have its own
protocol, in
>much the same way that SDP, SRP, etc. do today.

Seems like we have two proposals, at a high level, I see no
substantial benefit of one method over the other, they would both
facilitate connecting two machines using IP address.
However, one of the 2 proposals has code that is in the
trunk that people can start to code to today, the other is a
paper tiger that has no code.

I suggest that rather than recommend an entirely new model (with no
code),
why not instead comment on the code that exists and send patches if it
needs to be improved. Isn't that the way that open source is suppose to
work ?

my 2 cents,

woody