[openib-general] [RFC] OpenSM Interactive Console

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu Oct 27 07:29:57 PDT 2005

For me, the only purpose for an SNMP MIB would be to get the information
into a network management system. In my case, I'll be using something
that's open-source or has a plugin architecture like Nagios, and I'd
really rather just have the network management system communicate with
the subnet manager or SMA packets directly rather than introducting an
extra translation to SNMP.

SNMP is only usefull to me because it is (in theory) an interoperable
cross-vendor standard. In the infiniband case, we already have a
cross-vendor standard implementation (OpenIB), and adding SNMP is
another dependency and layer of complexity that can break and be
difficult to set up.

If I knew of an open-source tool that was actually able to use SNMP to
query a random ethernet vendor's switch and be able to tell me what port
a particular MAC address was plugged into, I might be more positive. But
as far as I know, each vendor's SNMP implementation is broken in subtly
different ways, so that this gets to be a nightmare to actually
implement.

I guess the point of all this is find a end-user use-case for the SM
MIB, and work back from there to decide if haveing a MIB actually helps
solve the problem.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 08:03:57AM +0200, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Yes this MIB needs some cleanup.
> I would love to hear from the community some feedback regarding SM MIB
> usefulness.
>
> In the past we did not get any push for interactive SM or online
> configurable SM so I did not see any reason to work on it.
>
> I do not think it is a huge task to make SM MIB work with OpenSM. At least
> not the 90% of it that I glanced through.
>

> Eitan Zahavi
> Design Technology Director
> Mellanox Technologies LTD
> Tel:+972-4-9097208
> Fax:+972-4-9593245
> P.O. Box 586 Yokneam 20692 ISRAEL

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer at hozed.org

Somone asked me why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz