[openib-general] Question about locked pages

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at open-mpi.org
Mon Oct 31 09:28:51 PST 2005

Greetings.

I'm writing up some FAQ entries for Open MPI and I'm adding a question
about "ulimit -l" for OpenIB (i.e., how users may wish to increase
their locked pages limit).

However, it's unclear to me exactly what needs to happen -- do users
both need to "ulimit -l unlimited" (or some large number) *and* set
/etc/sysctl.conf values for kernel.shmall and kernel.shmmax to
unlimited (or a large number)?  Or does performing one of those obviate
the need for the other?

Here's my preliminary FAQ entry about this -- comments and suggestions
would be welcome:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=infiniband#ib-locked-pages

If someone could provide me with details (or point me to the relevant
docs), I'd greatly appreciate it.  Specifically, I'd rather have
Correct information -- or HREF out to Correct information -- rather
than include hearsay and 3rd party "this worked for me" information
(which is what I have right now ;-) ).

Many thanks.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres