[openib-general] RE: [openib-commits] r3137 -gen2/trunk/src/linux-kernel/infiniband/ulp/ipoib

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Sep 2 18:56:20 PDT 2005

Hi Roland,

On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 16:10, Roland Dreier wrote:
> [Resending because I forgot to reply to all]
>
> > What happens when the port is not a full member of the partition (and only
> > a partial member) ? Is it just that the SA should reject those requests or
> > does some other failure occur ?
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question.  This patch fixes the situation where
> one host has, say, 0xffff in its P_Key table and another host has 0x7fff.  They
> should be able to talk to each other, but with the old code the second host
> would join the wrong broadcast group and not be able to exchange ARPs with
> the first host.

Will 2 limited members now be able to talk with each other ?

If this change makes the MC requests to the full partition for limited
members, that seems correct (as limited MC groups are useless). If it
causes/also causes the UD AVs used to send to have their limited PKey to
be promoted to full member, then that is not fine. Does it do the latter
as well as the former ?