[openib-general] Re: [mgtwg] RMPP Middle Segments Payload Length

Greg Pfister pfister at us.ibm.com
Sat Sep 3 20:58:57 PDT 2005

Hal,
I think you're right. The language currently in the spec implies that for
intermediate packets PayloadLength is ignored on receive, but I don't
think it anywhere explicitly reconfirms that, as a reserved field, it
should be set to 0 on transmit.
My take is that, as a result, on that field it wouldn't be as
straightforward to use the technique we used elsewhere -- have nonzero in
a previously-reserved field turn on some new optional function.
But I don't think there's any other effect of that spec looseness. And
using that field for such a purpose, only on intermediate packets, strikes
me as pretty unlikely.

Greg Pfister
IBM Distinguished Engineer, Member IBM Academy of Technology
IBM Systems & Technology Group, Server Technology & Architecture
(512) 838-8338 | IBM tieline 678-8338 | FAX (512) 838-3418
Sic Crustulum Frangitur