[openib-general] Re: [mstflint] firmware upgrade instructions

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Tue Sep 6 07:43:44 PDT 2005

Quoting r. James Lentini <jlentini at netapp.com>:
> Subject: [mstflint] firmware upgrade instructions
>

> Hi Michael,
>
> I'm guessing that you are the maintainer of mstflint. Two questions:
> What is the difference between mstflint and tvflash?

I didnt personally use tvflash. I think this tool is specific
for topspin cards. I think you'll need to use it if you are using the topspin
gen1 driver.
For mellanox cards, you can also use the mlxburn tool, part of the ibadm
package in mellanox ib gold.

> Using mstflint, how can the firmware located on the Mellanox website:
>
> http://www.mellanox.com/products/firmware.html
>
> be used to upgrade an HCA?

James, .mlx is a generic firmware common for all boards based
on mellanox silicon.
Therefore, to get a firmware image that flint can burn,
in addition to the .mlx file, you also need a .brd file
that matches the board you have.

For mellanox cards you can usually figure that our by the board id,
which is reported by running "mstflint -d <device> q"
or by looking at board id in /sys/class/infiniband/mthcaX/board_id

Once you have .mlx and .brd, compile these into a firmware image
specific for your board. This can be done by imgen tools that I have just
uploaded to the src/userspace/imgen directory.

Pls look at imgen/README file that explains how to do it.

HTH

--
MST