[openib-general] Re: sdp: kill sdp buff pool

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Thu Sep 8 09:18:49 PDT 2005

Quoting r. Tom Duffy <thomas.duffy.99 at alumni.brown.edu>:
> Subject: Re: sdp: kill sdp buff pool
>

> On Sep 8, 2005, at 4:41 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>

> >SDP seems to have a re-implementation of kmem_cache in sdp_buff.
> >Killing it actually results in a small bandwidth increase
> >for both bcopy and zcopy versions, so I plan to put this in.
> >

> Can you please post some numbers?

Up to 720 from around 700 MB/sec with 128KB buffers.

> >Note that sdp_buff_pool_chain_link is now same as sdp_buff_pool_put,
> >and sdp_buff_pool_chain_put is now a nop, but I decided to
> >keep it in for now, just in case there's another use for it.
> >

> like what?

Another re-implementation of kmem_cache, I guess :)
Do you prefer replacing them all with sdp_buff_pool_put?

> > sdp_buff.c  |  388 +++++
> >+------------------------------------------------------
> > sdp_dev.h   |    7 -
> > sdp_inet.c  |   17 --
> > sdp_proc.c  |    6
> > sdp_proc.h  |   11 -
> > sdp_proto.h |   10 -
> > 6 files changed, 50 insertions(+), 389 deletions(-)
> >

> I love patches like this.  Much better than what I had done ;)
>
> -tduffy

Yep, simple replacing of sdp lists with list_head (mega patch that I posted
previously) hurts performance by some 10%, and I didnt yet figure why.

--
MST