[openib-general] libibat/libibcm build mess

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Fri Sep 9 16:41:15 PDT 2005

Building libibat and libibcm right now is somewhat of a mess:

 - libibat and libibcm both have an include file named
   infiniband/at.h.  It's actually installed by libibcm, but the
   version in libibat has some structures not defined in the libibcm
   version.

 - the cmpost example in libibcm uses <infiniband/at.h>, so in theory
   the libibcm build depends on libibat.  But the libibcm configure
   script doesn't check for this.

 - include/infiniband/sa.h is not in the libibat EXTRA_DIST list, so
   libibat tarballs are not buildable.

I'm not sure exactly how to untangle all of this.  I don't think we
want build dependencies between libibcm and libibat.  So I'm not sure
of a sensible home for the <infiniband/sa.h> include file.

As a side note, does it make sense for libibcm and libibat to install
the cm_abi.h and at_abi.h files?  Those ABI definitions should
probably be kept internal to the libraries.  libibverbs only exports
its ABI because the individual device-specific drivers need to use it too.

 - R.