[openib-general] libibat/libibcm build mess

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Fri Sep 9 17:00:07 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 19:41, Roland Dreier wrote:
> Building libibat and libibcm right now is somewhat of a mess:
>
>  - libibat and libibcm both have an include file named
>    infiniband/at.h.  It's actually installed by libibcm, but the
>    version in libibat has some structures not defined in the libibcm
>    version.

I think you mean sa.h rather than at.h. I believe the one in libibat is
a superset of the one in libibcm in that it includes MCMemberRecords and
ServiceRecord structures. More SA structures could be added.

>  - the cmpost example in libibcm uses <infiniband/at.h>, so in theory
>    the libibcm build depends on libibat.  But the libibcm configure
>    script doesn't check for this.

This is a recent change.

>  - include/infiniband/sa.h is not in the libibat EXTRA_DIST list, so
>    libibat tarballs are not buildable.

Guess this should be added then.

> I'm not sure exactly how to untangle all of this.  I don't think we
> want build dependencies between libibcm and libibat.

Agreed.

>   So I'm not sure
> of a sensible home for the <infiniband/sa.h> include file.

Perhaps there should be a libibsa ?

> As a side note, does it make sense for libibcm and libibat to install
> the cm_abi.h and at_abi.h files?  Those ABI definitions should
> probably be kept internal to the libraries.  libibverbs only exports
> its ABI because the individual device-specific drivers need to use it too.

Sounds like there is no good reason for this.