[openib-general] userspace CM API for per device handling

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Sep 14 10:25:18 PDT 2005

Arlin Davis wrote:
> User events are processed (poll/select) with FD's so can we just use the
> FD to get events? This would give the user a direct mapping back to the
> correct device based on the poll or select results.
>
> Something like...
>
> 5. ib_cm_get_fd( struct ibv_context *device_context)  and
> ib_cm_get_event(int fd, **event).

I think that this is a good approach.  It avoids searching lists when calling
ib_cm_get_event(), but still gives the flexibility of per device event handling.
  Plus users don't have to track CM devices separately from verb devices.

> ibv_get_async_event(int fd, struct ibv_async_event *event);
> ibv_get_cq_event(int fd, struct ibv_cq **cq, void **cq_context);

This makes sense and avoids users from having to map from an fd back to a verbs
defined data structure, that is used to reference the fd.  Roland, what do you
think?