[openib-general] netdev reference counting problem with ib_at

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Fri Sep 16 17:11:10 PDT 2005

Roland Dreier wrote:
> ib_at needs to be reworked so that it doesn't keep perpetual
> references to netdevs.

I continue to hit this same issue, so I've started looking at the ib_at code.
Ib_at accesses struct ipoib_dev_priv to get information about the related port
that IPoIB is using.  Is there some other way for AT to get to the same
information?  It seems wrong for AT to poke into the priv data of a net_device.
  Should IPoIB expose a function that AT can call to map IP addresses (or
net_device) to IB ports?  How do we want to handle this long term?