[openib-general] Several questions wrt OpenIB

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Mon Sep 19 17:16:29 PDT 2005

    Jonathan> Are there any components of OpenIB which will definitely
    Jonathan> NOT work on a MIPS64 board or over the MIPS portion of
    Jonathan> the Linux kernel?

Is your platform cache coherent between PCI and CPU accesses to
memory?  Based on my reading of arch/mips/Kconfig, it seems to be the
case that the Sibyte SOCs are cache-coherent.  If so, then everything
_should_ work OK -- the IB drivers are 32/64 clean, endian clean, etc.

However, you would probably be the first to even build the drivers for
MIPS, so I would be curious to hear your experiences.

    Jonathan> Are there any projects out there to support VIA over OpenIB?

Not that I know of.  As far as I know, VIA is considered obsoleted by uDAPL.

    Jonathan> Are there any major latency issues with the current svn
    Jonathan> version of OpenIB that I would need to take account of
    Jonathan> (and/or ignore) when doing timings tests?

No, as far as I know the current OpenIB provides latency as least as
good as any other IB stack.

 - R.