[openib-general] EEH: MMIO Failure on Power5

Pradeep Satyanarayana pradeep at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 20 10:55:15 PDT 2005

We did see some similar issues on a p570 (and yes I have heard others
report no problems on 710 systems). The work-around that we discovered was
to not load the IB modules at boot time. Suspect there could be some
sequencing issue that Roland points out.

 We used the blacklist to disable IB modules being loaded  at bootup. After
boot a "modprobe ib_mthca" does not seem to cause the MMIO failure. By the
way what kind of power5 machine are you using?

Pradeep
pradeep at us.ibm.com

             Roland Dreier
             <rolandd at cisco.co
             Sent by:                  Thaddeus Ternes <tternes at gmail.com>
             openib-general-bo                                          cc
             unces at openib.org          openib-general at openib.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [openib-general] EEH: MMIO
             09/20/2005 10:37          Failure on Power5
             AM

    Thaddeus> I'm attempting to bring up a Mellanox card in a Power5
    Thaddeus> machine and have hit a snag.  I'm wondering if anybody
    Thaddeus> else has seen issues similar to this on this particular
    Thaddeus> hardware, as these cards seem to work in the Power4
    Thaddeus> machines.  The card is detected, but then I hit an MMIO
    Thaddeus> failure and ib_mthca fails.  The call trace (from dmesg)
    Thaddeus> is listed below.  I do see that the firmware is older,
    Thaddeus> but am not sure if that would necessarily bring about
    Thaddeus> this problem.  Any input is appreciated.

For what it's worth, I have Mellanox PCI-X HCAs working fine in
POWER5-based OpenPower 710 systems.  What kind of system are you using?

It seems that you may really be hitting an error on the PCI bus that
the pSeries hardware is detecting.

 - R.