[openib-general] Problem Building OpenIB on 2.6.12 kernel

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Tue Sep 20 21:37:10 PDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 08:33:25PM -0700, Don.Dhondt at Bull.com wrote:
> It is not very practical to try to use OpenIB on a continually moving
> kernel.

You are right - it's not. But it's even less practical to develope
code for submission to kernel.org on really old releases either.
The primary role of openib.org SVN tree is as a developement branch
of the code submitted to kernel.org. Basing openib.org SVN on the
latest minor kernel.org release is a compromise between using
"old" releases and linus' tree - which is really a continually
moving target.

> That is probably why we see so many backport patches for various kernels.

AFAIK, those patches are not intended for developement use.
The backports are primarily intended for use with distro's that
are already shipping based on a particular kernel.org version.

> I don't suppose you know of any existing backport patches to 2.6.12.

If it's not in the SVN, it probably doesn't yet exist.
I expect submittals for additional backport patches are welcome
and would be committed to the repository.

hth,
grant