[openib-general][RFC][CMA]: ib_cma_get_device hot unplug issue

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Sep 21 09:21:50 PDT 2005

Guy German wrote:
>> We could also require users to pass in a device structure as input and
>> let the calls fail if lookup fails.  For example, we could add calls
>> to get the IP addresses associated with a particular device port.
>
> I am not quite sure I follow you here, but I think it is not enough that
> lookup succeeds, you need to synchronize between the removal cb and the
> verbs calls, via locking mechanism of some sort (lock before device free
> and lock before calling ib_query_port, for example)

I don't think that the CMA needs to register as a device client.  I was
referring to providing a call such as:

ib_device_get_ip(struct ib_device, struct sockaddr*, int num_sockaddr);

To return all IP addresses associated with the given device.  The caller can now
coordinate calling this routine with device removal.