[openib-general] problems on device/ports initialization

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Sep 21 15:18:03 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 17:52, Shirley Ma wrote:
> > I don't think that matters. What is the initialization failure that
> is
> > occurring ? Any error message ?
>
> We saw an error on Galaxy adapter while ib_mad fails to create QP1 for
> the second port, then the first port becomes useless.

You are talking about creating QPs working or not, not whether the port
is cabled or not. Are those related on Galaxy ?

> The right behavior shouldn't prevent port1 from working.

So you would prefer to work with the ports which can be started ?

>  Second if loading ib_ipoib module afterwards, and configure the ib
> interface, the kernel will hung and oops. Simpling add a port_usable[]
> field in ib_device will address this problem.

And what determines port_usable ?

> After connecting the IB cable to port1, the port status changes from
> DOWN to ACTIVE. The QP1 creation would be successful if in the async
> event checking the port_usable[port_num] and calling mad_port_open()
> and agent_port_open() for that particular port. I haven't tested this
> out yet.

Was QP0 creation successful on that "failed" port but QP1 creation
relies on port active ?