[openib-general] Re: Firmware parameters

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Thu Sep 22 02:22:57 PDT 2005

Quoting Sayantan Sur <surs at cse.ohio-state.edu>:
> Subject: Firmware parameters
>
> Hi,
>
> I read the Wiki page (last updated 09/15) on burning firmware:
>
> https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Installation+Cheat+Sheet
>
> I couldn't find any information on how to set certain firmware
> parameters (like TPT values, Number of Outstanding Reads ... etc.) in
> that page.

You can do this by editing the .brd file.
If you do this, I suggest changing the PSID value (also in the brd file)
to label the card as having a modified firmware.

> Another important question is given any HCA (with pre-installed
> firmware), how do I find out the parameter values on the card?
>
> I tried mstflint in the following manner, but wasn't able to get any
> useful information. I tried this on SuSE Linux 9.3, kernel 2.6.13-1(smp)
> with SVN revision 3433.
>
> [surs at ro0:mstflint] sudo ./mstflint -d 02:00.0 q
> Image type: FailSafe
> Chip rev.:  A0
> GUID Des:   Node             Port1            Port2            Sys image
> GUIDs:      0002c902004002e8 0002c902004002e9 0002c902004002ea
> 0002c902004002eb
> Board ID:    (MT_0150000001)
> [surs at ro0:mstflint] sudo ./mstflint -d 02:00.0 dc
> *** ERROR *** Failed dumping FW configuration: Fw configuration section
> not found in the given image.
>

> Could someone please direct me to some means to achieve this?
>
> TIA,
> Sayantan.

Unfortunately, the dc command only works if the image was created with
the imgen tool.
There's no easy way to do this for existing firmware with just flint.
Here's a (somewhat cumbersome) procedure to achieve what you want:

1. read the firmware binary out of the board into file with
   "ri" (read image) mstflint command
2. launch the infiniburn graphical application
   (can be found on IB gold CD 1.7.x, alternatively a copy
    appears in the contrib section of the subversion repository)
3. select "read from file", input file format: Raw Binary.

Modified parameters now appear, marked in red colour.

Hope this helps,

--
MST