[openib-general] DHCP over infiniband

cynthia segura csegura at hpti.com
Fri Sep 23 10:25:02 PDT 2005

I'm new to infiniband and I'm trying to assign an IP address to an
infiniband interface using DHCP. Currently, I have a small test cluster
(two nodes only) each with an infiniband HCA cabled back to back (no
switch).  I am running a  2.6.12.4 kernel with infiniband support
compiled in the kernel. When the nodes boot, I can see both of the
infiniband interfaces and can assign them IP addresses using ifconfig.
However, it appears that there is not communication between the
interfaces (I can't ping them). I consulted the FAQ
(http://www.openib.org/docs/ipoib_faq.txt) and it appear that I need a
subnet manager running on at least one of the nodes, so I downloaded and
installed opensm. However, when I try to run it, I receive the following
error:
OpenSM Rev:openib-1.1.0
Command Line Arguments:
 Log File: /var/log/osm.log
OpenSM Rev:openib-1.1.0

warn: [21042] umad_init: wrong ABI version:
/sys/class/infiniband_mad/abi_version is 2 but library ABI is 5
Using default guid 0x5ad000004b4f1
SM port is down.

So, then I assumed that I need to recompile the infiniband modules with
the latest OpenIB stack, so I download it and followed these instructions:

https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Installation+Cheat+Sheet

Unfortunately, I when I try to compile the 2.6.12.4 kernel with
infiniband support:

#
# InfiniBand support
#
CONFIG_INFINIBAND=y
CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_MAD=y
CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_ACCESS=y
CONFIG_INFINIBAND_MTHCA=y
# CONFIG_INFINIBAND_MTHCA_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB=y
# CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SDP is not set
# CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SRP is not set

I receive the following errors:

drivers/built-in.o(.init.text+0x533c): In function `ib_uat_init':
: undefined reference to `class_create'
drivers/built-in.o(.init.text+0x5385): In function `ib_uat_init':
: undefined reference to `class_device_create'
drivers/built-in.o(.exit.text+0x802): In function `ib_uat_cleanup':
: undefined reference to `class_device_destroy'
drivers/built-in.o(.exit.text+0x810): In function `ib_uat_cleanup':
: undefined reference to `class_destroy'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you,
Cynthia