[openib-general] DHCP over infiniband

Nishanth Aravamudan nacc at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 23 10:48:05 PDT 2005

On 23.09.2005 [11:25:02 -0600], cynthia segura wrote:
> I'm new to infiniband and I'm trying to assign an IP address to an
> infiniband interface using DHCP. Currently, I have a small test cluster
> (two nodes only) each with an infiniband HCA cabled back to back (no
> switch).  I am running a  2.6.12.4 kernel with infiniband support
> compiled in the kernel. When the nodes boot, I can see both of the
> infiniband interfaces and can assign them IP addresses using ifconfig.
> However, it appears that there is not communication between the
> interfaces (I can't ping them). I consulted the FAQ
> (http://www.openib.org/docs/ipoib_faq.txt) and it appear that I need a
> subnet manager running on at least one of the nodes, so I downloaded and
> installed opensm. However, when I try to run it, I receive the following
> error:
> OpenSM Rev:openib-1.1.0
> Command Line Arguments:
> Log File: /var/log/osm.log
> OpenSM Rev:openib-1.1.0
>
> warn: [21042] umad_init: wrong ABI version:
> /sys/class/infiniband_mad/abi_version is 2 but library ABI is 5
> Using default guid 0x5ad000004b4f1
> SM port is down.
>
> So, then I assumed that I need to recompile the infiniband modules with
> the latest OpenIB stack, so I download it and followed these instructions:
>
> https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Installation+Cheat+Sheet
>
> Unfortunately, I when I try to compile the 2.6.12.4 kernel with
> infiniband support:
>
> #
> # InfiniBand support
> #
> CONFIG_INFINIBAND=y
> CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_MAD=y
> CONFIG_INFINIBAND_USER_ACCESS=y
> CONFIG_INFINIBAND_MTHCA=y
> # CONFIG_INFINIBAND_MTHCA_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB=y
> # CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB_DEBUG is not set
> # CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SDP is not set
> # CONFIG_INFINIBAND_SRP is not set
>
> I receive the following errors:
>
> drivers/built-in.o(.init.text+0x533c): In function `ib_uat_init':
> : undefined reference to `class_create'
> drivers/built-in.o(.init.text+0x5385): In function `ib_uat_init':
> : undefined reference to `class_device_create'
> drivers/built-in.o(.exit.text+0x802): In function `ib_uat_cleanup':
> : undefined reference to `class_device_destroy'
> drivers/built-in.o(.exit.text+0x810): In function `ib_uat_cleanup':
> : undefined reference to `class_destroy'
> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
>

> I would appreciate any help you can offer.

I believe this is the common problem people are experiencing now with an
older kernel and the svn tree.

The openib svn tree (as I understand it), as far as the linux-kernel
related components are concerned, is tied to whatever is the latest
release on kernel.org (2.6.13{,.2} right now). So when you apply the
code to 2.6.12 (or any other tree for that matter), you probably will
run into build errors like this.

Your best bet is to upgrade to 2.6.13. If that is not possible, I'm not
sure what the recommended course of action is off the top of my head,
but I know others have asked this question recently, so you could scan
the archives.

Thanks,
Nish