[openib-general] InfiniBand compilation testing

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Sat Sep 24 10:19:53 PDT 2005

    Nish> I have a prototype of something similar running right now,
    Nish> to help test InfiniBand, both in mainline and in the svn
    Nish> repo. Basically, every night (this part hasn't been set up
    Nish> yet, but should be nothing more than a crontab entry), I can
    Nish> spawn a build job for InfiniBand. Currently, it will only
    Nish> cover compile-testing in the following sense: build current
    Nish> -git with IB options set to =y and =m in x86 and ppc64; and
    Nish> build current -git with the current svn code linked and IB
    Nish> options set to =y and =m in x86 and ppc64.

This is great, thanks!  The build of latest git + latest svn might not
always succeed, because we try to keep svn working with the latest
full kernel release, but it's still very helpful to get advance
warning of API changes that will break our tree.

    Nish> I have attached below my results from 2.6.14-rc2-git3. Only
    Nish> build failure was the gen2 kernel code under ppc64 with
    Nish> everything set to y.

I just checked in a fix for this -- the pci_pretty_name() API has gone
away, so I removed our use of it in svn.  I don't understand how your
other builds of git + svn succeeded though, since pci_pretty_name is
completely gone.  Oh, I guess you'll miss link failures when building
modules, so functions that disappear won't break the build.  Still,
how did the x86 =y build succeed?

Also, is there any way to set this up to spam me when a build fails?

Of course, the next step is to add some real IB hardware to the test
farm and start running regression tests.  (And yes I know that's a lot
of work ;) But even just seeing if the drivers load successfully would
be quite useful.

Thanks,
  Roland