[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Thu Sep 29 15:23:50 PDT 2005

Yaron Haviv wrote:
> The RC connection is established with the DGID of the router (it's the
> equivalent of a MAC address and its ok), the ServiceID + private data in
> the case of SDP or iSER (or NFS-R assuming the IBTA proposal will pass)
> also contains info on the REAL destination IP that can be used by the
> proxy.

I think I'm missing some fairly important concepts here.

Can you explain how RDMA works in this case?  This is simply performing IP
routing, and not IB routing, correct?  Are you referring to a protocol running
on top of IP or IB directly?  Is the router establishing a second reliable
connection on the backend?  Does it simply translate headers as packets pass
through in this case?

My focus so far has been trying to connection directly over IB, but using IP
addresses.