[openib-general] [RFC] IB address translation using ARP

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Fri Sep 30 06:38:27 PDT 2005

Those examples are all basically application level gateways.
As such they would have no transport or connection setup
implications. The application level gateway simply offers
a service on network X that it fulfills on network Y. But
as far as network X is concerned the gateway IS the server.

I do not believe it is possible to construct a transport
layer gateway that bridges RDMA between IB and iWARP while
appearing to be a normal RDMA endpoint on both networks.
Higher level gateways will be possible for many
applications, but I don't see how that relates to
connection establishment. That would require having
an end-to-end reliable connection, complete with flow
control semantics, that bridged the two networks by
some method other than encapsulation or tunneling.