[openib-general] Re: netdev reference counting problem with ib_at

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Fri Sep 30 11:40:36 PDT 2005

I have been following this and the other thread on CMA. There appears to be some
opinions to removing the ib_at module and introduce CMA.
Is that correct?

The proposal is to remove ATS, which is only a portion of ib_at, and instead use
ARP to resolve addresses.

True, CMA will need some form of address translation. Can we not use some
incarnation of ib_at for that? I realize that ib_at has a net_device
refcnt problem. Is this refcnt problem a usage issue rather than just a bug in
the implementation? How would CMA solve the refcnt issue?
What am I missing?

Some incarnation of ib_at will be needed, and portions of either the ib_at or
SDP code will likely be used.