[openib-general] Re: IPoIB interface for unauthorized partition

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Mon Apr 3 11:55:33 PDT 2006

    Hal> Hi Roland, I have a port which only has the full default
    Hal> partition configured but ifconfig allows an IPoIB interface
    Hal> with a PKey which is not in the Pkey table. Shouldn't the
    Hal> ifconfig fail for this (rather than the subsequent ping) ?

No, I don't think so.  The philosophy of the IPoIB driver is to allow
configuration to be done before the IB port is fully ready.  This
allows for things such as boot scripts configuring interfaces before
the SM has brought the port up.  Otherwise you end up in a situation
where a system may come up without network interfaces configured, just
because of a transient timing issue during boot.

 - R.