[openib-general] Help with CONFIG_PCI_MSI in the kernel

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Tue Apr 4 19:16:26 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:29:24PM -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Jason> Just as a preface, I whipped this patch up because I have a
>     Jason> Asus with a broken BIOS and I wanted to test with MSI-X on
>     Jason> IB cards. It needs a little more thought before being
>     Jason> merged, but the method seemed relevent given the discussion
>     Jason> on Fedora disabling MSI.

> This patch probably is a good thing to work around buggy BIOSes.  But
> I don't think it helps Fedora at all.  The issue (as I understand it)
> is not that some devices try to use MSI and don't work, but that some
> systems completely fail to boot because of the (non-MSI) IRQ changes
> that CONFIG_PCI_MSI also (confusingly) enables.

I looked around on google for some rational or boot log or something
and found nothing but someone on ubuntu and an old kernel that didn't
work.

I'm hoping to address this situation: Someone with an e1000 (supports
MSI on some revs in 2.6.16) reported that their card didn't work in XX
AMD64 system because it had broken MSI support.

Thanks,
Jason