[openib-general] switch from svn to git

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at pathscale.com
Fri Apr 7 13:09:14 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 13:54 -0600, Ronald G Minnich wrote:

> first read andrew morton's writeup on why he does not use git.

Are you talking about this?
http://www.kerneltraffic.org/kernel-traffic/kt20050605_311.html#2

If so, I don't see that it has any relevance.

> xen uses mercurial and they are happy with it. But do we need multiple
> repo capability or not?

For my work, I find it tremendously useful.

> What's missing in svn that you don't like?

Every single operation except diff and status requires that I talk to
the server.  This makes trying to deal with the entirety of a large tree
(which, as release coordinator, is almost all I do) very very slow.

Couple that with Subversion's lack of meaningful support for branches
and merges (something else that I do all the time) and you begin to get
the picture :-(

	<b