[openib-general] RFC: clean branches/1.0/ (was Re: Include patch for IPoIB queue size tuning into the release 1.0 branch)

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Apr 9 08:01:30 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at pathscale.com>:
> Subject: Re: Include patch for IPoIB queue size tuning into the release 1.0 branch
>
> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 12:59 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
>
> > Well, nothing except for the time to maintain the kernel code on that
> > branch in addition to the svn trunk and the upstream kernel.  But if
> > you're willing to do it, then that's fine by me.
>
> As a matter of courtesy and convenience, and provided it doesn't take
> much of my time, I have no problem with doing it.

I'm actually quite unhappy about this arrangement: the random dump in
https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.0/src/linux-kernel/ appears, by the
virtue of its location in svn, to represent some kind of "official openib
release" while its nothing of the kind, and is, unlike
https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.0/src/userspace/, quite unmaintained.

This seems to be confusing people: as a result we have ibm and redhat people
synchronizing on this, bypassing completely both the openib maintainers and the
proper kernel.org review process.

This does not make sense, to me: people should either track svn trunk for
bleeding edge development, one of the kernel git trees (probably Roland's
http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git;a=summary)
for a snoop at how 2.6.17/2.6.18 will look, kernel.org trees for stable
deployment, or maintain their own infiniband tree in svn or git.

Bryan, since you stated that this kernel code is useful to you for internal
purposes, I'd like to propose that this branch subdirectory
https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.0/src/linux-kernel
be moved to
https://openib.org/svn/trunk/contrib/pathscale
directory.