[openib-general] tcpdump command issue on IB network

Dotan Barak dotanb at mellanox.co.il
Tue Apr 11 01:37:08 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 00:54, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
> I am not sure this is a openib issue, but perhaps rather a bug in the
> utilities that assumed the size of a MAC address is 8 bytes.
>
> I am not sure if that is the case with this one, but I know it was
> the case in some of the user utilities. If this is the case, then
> the utility should be fixed.

Here is some new info: on machine X, i got the same failure, on machine Y i got the tcp dump.

here are the machines props (same IB driver):

on machine X:
-------------------
# tcpdump --version
tcpdump version 3.8
libpcap version 0.8.3

# tcpdump -i ib1
tcpdump: ioctl: Value too large for defined data type

# uname -a
Linux X.mtl.com 2.6.9-22.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Sep 19 18:00:54 EDT 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 2)

on machine Y:
--------------------
# tcpdump --version
tcpdump version 3.8
libpcap version 0.8.3

# tcpdump -i ib1
tcpdump: WARNING: arptype 32 not supported by libpcap - falling back to cooked socket
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on ib1, link-type LINUX_SLL (Linux cooked), capture size 96 bytes

# uname -a
Linux Y.mtl.com 2.6.14.3 #1 SMP Mon Jan 9 15:19:18 IST 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz)

I think that maybe the problem is not in the user level stack or in the utilities , but in the linux kernel (in the module that handles this socket ioctl)

Dotan