[openib-general] Re: Dual Sided RMPP Support as well as OpenSMImplications

Rimmer, Todd trimmer at silverstorm.com
Tue Apr 11 10:15:22 PDT 2006

I haven't been watching this thread so I might be missing the point.

It is a bad idea to implement a custom double sided approach.  This will suddenly create various compliance and interop issues.  For example Windows Open Fabrics and Linux OpenSM might not interoperate.  Not to mention other OSs (such as Solaris) which have their own IB stacks.

More interestingly, it is very likely that most uses of getmulti would involve a requestor providing a request which would fit into a single MAD packet and the RMPP protocol would not be fully needed by the sender (eg. just the simple case of a single packet RMPP transfer by sender with a multipacket RMPP response).  You will note up to 10 GIDs can fit in the request within a single packet.  The most common uses will probably involve 2 source GIDs and 2 destination GIDs.

Hence perhaps the complexity of a compliant double sided solution could even be avoided for now.

Todd Rimmer