[openib-general] RHEL4ASU3 question

Don.Albert at Bull.com Don.Albert at Bull.com
Tue Apr 11 22:05:43 PDT 2006

Bob,

> I have tested what is on the RedHat EL4.0 U3 with Intel MPI and it
> worked ok, so RedHat EL4.0 U3 has all of the userspace libraries needed
> to run MVAPICH, although I have not tried it, but I suspect it will
work.
> There is one issue that I ran into with the stock RedHat EL4 U3 release
> and that is with the new Mellenox DDR card I had some problems with
rdma,
> using uDAPL and suspect you would see the same issues with MVAPICH with
> those cards.
> The SDR cards seem to work fine with the code that is on the RedHat CD.

We are running RHEL4 U3 and the MVAPICH version from the OpenIB gen2
trunk.  We were able to run the OSU benchmark tests (osu_bw, osu_bibw, and
osu_latency) with the Mellanox SDR cards successfully, but when we swapped
out the cards for DDR cards, we ran into some problems. We can run some
MPI jobs like the simple "calculate pi" job (cpi.c),  and we can run an
MPING application, but when we try to run the benchmark tests, we get the
following:

[koa] (ib) ib> mpirun_rsh -np 2 koa jatoba /home/ib/mpi/tests/osu/osu_bw
# OSU MPI Bandwidth Test (Version 2.1)
# Size          Bandwidth (MB/s)
[0] Abort: [koa.az05.bull.com:0] Got completion with error, code=1
 at line 2148 in file viacheck.c
mpirun_rsh: Abort signaled from [0]
done.

Looking at the viacheck.c file,  it seems that this error is generated
when a bad status is found in the status of a completion queue entry. From
the "code=1" ,  it may be some sort of "length error".    This could be
coming from the driver or the card, I suppose?   That's as far as I have
gotten so far.

Does this sound like any of the "issues" you referred to above relative to
RHEL4 U3 and the DDR cards?   If so, is there a fix?

-Don Albert-
Bull HN Info Systems