[openib-general] creative file descriptor abuse in uverbs

Christoph Hellwig hch at lst.de
Tue Apr 18 06:07:31 PDT 2006

I'd like to get rid of get_empty_filp midterm.  Because of that's I've
looked at all the users, and the only modular and most creative one
is the uverbs code.  Everything else only every returns new fds from
syscalls, which is a good thing.  Trying to show-horn fds into ->write
otohg creates various problems.  Any chance you could change this to
creating new files in an uversfs or something when doing the next ABI
revision for uverbs?  (I suspect there'll be a major change for iWarp
integration?)

I plan to send a patch to mark get_empty_filp deprecated for modules
to akpm soon, but it will be a few month at least before it can go, and
not before we've found a solution for uverbs.