[openib-general] How do we prevent starvation say between TCP overIPOIB / and SRP traffic ?

Diego Crupnicoff Diego at Mellanox.com
Wed Apr 19 15:12:58 PDT 2006

> To manage QoS the question is who knows about all the traffic
traversing a
> specific adapter. For most kernel traversing protocols (IP, iSER,
iSCSI,
> etc) you can sometimes do this in the device driver, where you can
examine
> the headers as a packet is expedited and manage it there.
Unfortunately
> you
> are adding processing in the driver which can end up impacting
bandwidth
> on
> high speed adapters. You also introduce additional overhead hence
higher
> CPU utilization.

Right. You do not want to do this in SW. Most IB HCA adapters can do
this for you at wire speed with absolutely no toll on host CPU
utilization.