[openib-general] some issues related to when/why IPoIB calls netif_carrier_on() etc

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Wed Aug 2 08:05:36 PDT 2006

 > 1) what is the exact reason that ib0 is running here, is it as of this
 >    "magic" configuration of the IPv6 addr that caused it to join to
 >    the IPv4 and IPv6 broascast groups?

No, ipv6 autoconf has nothing to do with it.  I think it's because you
did ifconfig ib0 up, which called ipoib_open(), which calls
ipoib_ib_dev_up(), which joins the ipv4 broadcast group.

Bringing the interface up the starts ipv6 autoconf but that is just a
side issue.  You could build a kernel without ipv6 and see what happens.

 > 2) is it well defined what conditions should hold s.t IPoIB will be RUNNING

Not really.

 > 3) just to make sure: RUNNING <--> ipoib called netif_carrier_on(), correct?
 >    i see that latter is called by ipoib_mcast_join_task(), is it when
 >    "joining everything we want to join to" holds or you can somehow
 >    refine the predicate?

Yes, I believe that is correct.

 - R.